Thursday, October 11, 2007

A nightwalk in Macao

First of all, let's explain my motivations to write this text. I come from São Paulo, in Brazil. I think it's quite well-known, even abroad, for not being a very safe city... I don't use to take nightwalks in São Paulo... No, almost never...


Well, and something that drew a lot of my attention, and that I found very curious about Macao, is how safe it is, even in the darkest alleys, anytime between sunset and sunrise...

In our second day here, me and Olivia went from Taipa (where we live) island to Macau (main-island). We explored there till night, and like every prudent paulistano, decided to go home before 9pm. But, sad fact, none of us can read chinese... we took the right bus, but... wrong direction.
We stopped in a completely unknown place, and completely weird for us at that time. Dog race bets were being placed in the building beside us, and right in front, a street-market.

9pm, perfect time to buy fruit! Whoa, I was scared... The market atmosphere was completely isolated from the outside, completely different... It was a weird combination of colors and moods. The vivid colors of the fruits, the energy of the salespeople, but with that weak light, no other costumers around, and that such a weird end-of-the-day sensation you don't usually find in street-markets, but more likely in your tv room, right before you go to bed... when we got out of the market, once again, a completely different place...

By then, I was already so tired I can't remeber anymore how we got back to East Asia Hall... What I can remember is whoa, we walked a lot...


I was pretty scared in my first walk through the above alley.

"Follow me, I know a shortcut!" It was around 9:30 pm and we were returning from the supermarket when we decided to follow the girl, Yuna, who had been in Macao since the previous year. Mud, abandoned cars, and a "gutter moat" stood in our way.I take this shortcut pretty often nowadays... You can actually see people stopping around and chatting. Everyone uses it.

I just find it so curious... and fun... What about these abandoned cars? What about the huts in the way? Does anyone live there? This place looks miserable and abandoned, but the fact is, it isn't...


People and places here deliver such a variety of different moods and reactions to such different situations and scenes...


Yes, There is something about Macao...

2 comments:

mitsuohara said...

Yeah, there's definetively someething about Macao, but I don't have a clue about it! And that, my folk, it's because unlike you, I don't live there! Hahahaha...

Well, it seems nobody likes to comment on your blog, curiously enough, it seems they don't like to comment on mine either! Why? Maybe because they don't even bother about checking it from time to time.

Anyway, I personally had never commented on it, so it's my turn to do the friendly kind o thing about going to other people's blogs and make a comment on it... I'm a little bit surprised to see that you write in english here, but anyway, I'm confused about what exactly do you speak there. Well, it's common sense, if you're in England, speak in english, in Portugal, potuguese, in USA, unitedstatofamecanish and so on :P

WT? What the hell am I talking about? Anyway, nice blog, but it seems that at least for now I won! HAHA! I do post on mine more often than you do! :P I'm not taking the competitive way, but I want to hear (or read) more from you, for fuc* sake! (Hein, sakê de foda?)

Whada... well, I have a similar story. It happened yesterday, but I didn't have the same luck of having a pretty girl by my side. Well, that and the fact it was way more later and fucking colder!

Anyway, love you, bye. And no, I'm NOT giving my gay face.. YET.. hahahaha..

mitsuohara said...

I said "similar"? Forget about it, the only simlar thing was the night and that's it!

BTW, check mine more often! I do write there SPECIALY for you :P

Hahaha, and please, do me a favor, comment there too! Any shit you wnat is valid...

Well, not ANY, but... here I am speaking nonsenses again.

Better get going...