Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Macao, tiny place

I was pretty surprised one day when I was searching for Macao in Google Maps. I was expecting a visible small strap of land in South China that would turn out to be three islands, and then I would have found it. I searched and I searched, till finally I realized where it was; the sea between Macao and China is almost imperceptible, and you can't tell from a distance (of a satellite) that it actually is an island.(well, this image is from wikipedia... It seems Google map's terms of service forbids external use of its images, no matter the purpose, so.... no nice satellite photo for you - or you can try finding it by yourself, it can be fun. I live in Taipa island's waterfront, between Ponte Governador Nobre de Carvalho and Ponte da Amizade)
I hadn't realized before how long the Taipa - Macao bridges were. To have a better idea of how small Macao is, it takes around 5 minutes to cross the middle bridge by bus... And as you can see, this bridge is almost as long as Macau island itself!
I searched for information, and found that Macao has only 28.6 sq km land area, only around 2.6% Hong Kong's area. Another impressive number is the islands' population density: 17310 inhabitants per sq km! No wonder Macao buses are always full...

No comments: